Seán Nichol (1920-2005)
Seán Nichol was born in 1920 in Belfast. Sean and his siblings were reared by two elderly Aunts in the Markets area of South Belfast after the sudden death of his parents.. It was during his childhood, that Seán began to foster his passion for painting.
After leaving school, Seán and his brother Gerry became the fourth generation of the family to cure bacon at their premises in Cromac Street. Seán then turned his hand to the Wine Merchant Business alongside his father-in- law, Felix Laverty. But before long, Seán, keen to return to his true passion, left to pursue his career in painting while working at the Orchard Gallery on the Newtownards Road.
In his free time, he would escape to Donegal, Connemara or the Glens of Antrim with his paints in hand and his little caravan. His paintings reflect the wild and rugged beauty of the Irish Countryside of his time.
Seán was a member of the Royal Ulster Academy from the 1940s. And from this time, his work was displayed alongside other contemporary artists such as Maurice C Wilkes, Charles McAuley, Desmond Turner and Frank McKelvey in the Museum and Art Gallery Stranmillis, better known today as the Ulster Museum.
In addition to selling his artwork in Co. Donegal, Seán also painted on commission, most notably painting Colebrooke Park, the ancestral home of Lord Brookeborough.
Seán continued to paint until his death in 2005.